Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Weekend: Part 1

I had the most amazing weekend!

I am sad to say that Carly, Katie, and Jacqueline left to return home to Italy early Sunday afternoon - I am going to miss having them here so much! The timing of their visit was perfect, me having just gotten pretty much settled in by this past Thursday when they arrived, and pretty bored of being by myself. I started my internship Monday, so there was really no time for me to swing back down into a slump between their amazing visit and the beginning of my routine, and for that, I am thankful!

I have so much to write about, because this weekend was so eventful, so beware! This post might end up pretty long, or it might even turn into a series of posts...



First, I went and picked the girls up from the airport. It was super easy, so if anybody wants to come visit (!!!!) it will be simple for me to come pick you up from the airport! We came back to my apartment, dropped their stuff off, and headed out in search of a restaurant that I had found online, Kulový Blesk. Kulový Blesk is a small pub known for carrying a large selection of beers from breweries around the country, and their traditional food. The pub was easy to find...well, it should have been, but I managed to get us somewhat lost...and is not too far from my place.

The beer was great, the selection was amazing, the food was tasty, the atmosphere was cozy, and the staff were all pretty nice to us! We were a little awkward standing around with our beer and waiting for a table, because the bar area is more of a hallway than an actual bar, but we weren't really sure where to go, and nobody yelled at us! The other girls all got some kind of red meat and dumplings, and since I had already had a similar meal since being in Prague, asked our waitress for a suggestion. I ended up with breaded cauliflower, boiled potatoes, and tartar sauce. It was really tasty, but I definitely cannot eat like that all the time!!


 As for beer with dinner, I asked my waitress to just bring me something good. She brought me this and told me it was her favorite! It was delicious! I am so mad, because I cannot for the life of me remember the name, but from the glass I am guessing it is one of Pivovar Matuška's dark beers, and I am thinking that their Ĉerná Raketa (Black Rocket) sounds about right. You can check out Pivovar Matuška's website for information about the brewery and their family of beers.


Carly, Katie, and Jacqueline enjoyed their food (well, except Jacqueline's meat) and beer as well.

Me & Carly

Jacqueline (left) & Katie in their matching outfits

We headed home with a quick pit stop by the late-night potraviny (grocery - really a miniature grocery store/convenience store) where the lady behind the counter tried to jip me 100 Kč. Sorry, lady, but I can count!! We ended up staying up late and just hanging out at the apartment, planned a little for the next day, and crashed.

Unfortunately, Carly was feeling very sick the next morning, and decided to stay home from the sightseeing. While it was not at all good that she was sick, this provided me a nice opportunity to learn about Czech cold medicine and how to acquire it. Katie and Jacqueline helped me figure out where the pharmacy is (there are three within immediate sight of my apartment), and we also discovered a small shopping center with a Walgreens-type store, a coffee shop, and a small Billa grocery store. This place is just steps from my apartment, and I never knew it was there until this weekend! What a great discovery! We also found a bakery on the same strip that I am sure I will be visiting often!

After settling Carly, we headed out for a day of sightseeing, bundled up and with our cameras charged.

I have been using public transportation a lot on this trip thus far. Until this weekend, when we ended up getting a little off track a couple times, I had never gotten lost before, and felt very comfortable using the system - maybe a little too comfortable. In Rome, the girls walk everywhere, which helps them learn the layout of the city, discover new places, and of course work off all of the pizza and pasta. Here, it is very cold, I am by myself, and I had never thought about not using public transportation to get places. I thought I had been walking a lot...at least more than I would normally in the States! However, I have nothing on these girls! When we discovered that Old Town Square is just about a mile walk from my apartment, they suggested walking. Normally I would have just taken a tram, but I am so glad that Katie and Jacqueline suggested walking! Not only did we get to take tons of pictures along the way, but I now know my way to Old Town so much better, and I was able to realize how close it really is! Being by myself, I never felt super comfortable walking around the city, but it will help me learn my way around so much better!

Some of the pictures from our walk, just steps from my apartment:


The Dancing House









Sorry, but that is all for now. Keep checking back for the next installment to hear about the rest of our weekend, which involved some major sight-seeing, some great restaurants, a beer tour, getting lost at 1:30 in the morning, the club, meeting some Dutch boys, and staying out until 6:30 in the morning.

To be continued...

*UPDATE* Check out the post in which this adventure continues, The Weekend: Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment